Monday 1 August 2011

Wedding Wardrobe

I have a friend's wedding next weekend in Devon. What on earth does one wear to a wedding? The last one I attended was a school friend's last summer, to which I wore some black patent loafers, white socks, tapered silk trousers, a cropped cream top and a blazer. I was happy with this as I looked perfectly appropriate, although glaringly contrary to my friends in heels and smart dresses. Also, what puts me off donning a similar get-up is that when Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean' started playing, one of my peers noticed the shoe-sock combination and insisted that I moon-walked.
So, this time I was thinking to go for the more conventional dress. Yet, this in itself is problematic. What colour? Obviously not white, that would be a cardinal sin. Black? Too somber, especially in August. That leaves 'colours' and, as a red-headed person, this is a complete minefield. Pink brings out the rosy tones in my skin, and I look like a piglet. Orange? Yellow? Complete no-no's. Red?! Heaven forbid. Grey? Grey can look very elegant in the right fabric and on the right stature, but on my budget and 5"6 frame it will inevitably border 'office wear'.
I think I'll go with blue; a safe navy.
Even with the hue decided, there are other necessary areas to consider - the length, for example, is still debatable. I don't think weddings are maxi-dress territory. However, too short would also be highly improper.
"That's it. I'm not going." ('The Grinch')